The incredible advances we’ve seen in medical devices and equipment over the last few decades are due in large part to specialty plastics and the development of medical CNC machining. Precise CNC machining allows for a high degree of accuracy and repeatability, and can produce parts with extremely tight tolerances. Medical machining can also accommodate specialty plastics with unique properties, such as high strength and stiffness and extreme heat resistance. As an industry leader in tight tolerances and CNC machining for over three decades, Reading Plastic can produce specialty plastic components for medical, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology applications.
Plastic Medical CNC Machining Applications
- Bone and joint replacement – These replacements used to be made from metal, glass or ceramic, but biocompatible plastics are a much better – and safer – solution. These plastic polymers are lightweight but extremely strong, able to replace knees, hips and even vertebrae. Most importantly, these biocompatible materials won’t break down inside the body, nor do they run the risk of the body rejecting the implant. An added benefit of medical CNC machining is that there are no tooling costs and a short turnaround time, making it possible to produce one-off, patient-specific implants, rather than having to make do with mass-produced parts.
- Unblock and repair arteries – One of the greatest advancements in cardiology is the expanded use of catheterization. With these long, thin tubes (catheters), doctors can clear arteries of obstruction with a tiny spiral-shaped implant called a vessel support.
- Prosthetics and implants – Prosthetic limbs used to be cumbersome with a limited range of use. By utilizing lightweight plastics and medical CNC machining, modern prosthetics offer greater levels of dexterity and usability, while greatly improving comfort for the wearer. Medical implants are also benefiting from medical CNC machining’s ability to create small, complex parts, such as hearing aid implants and pacemakers.
The list of medical CNC machined parts is endless:
- Disposable syringes
- Insulin pens
- Dialysis machines and equipment
- Surgical and dental instruments
- Heart rate monitors
- MRI machines
- Screws and plates
- Medication pumps
Medical CNC Machining at Reading Plastic & Metal
We’re passionate and committed to playing an integral part in the medical industry to help save lives. If you need expert medical machining, call Reading Plastic at 610-926-3245 or request a quote today!