Military and defense components need to withstand an array of harsh environments, including heat, friction, saltwater, and grit. At Reading Plastic, we have made precision-machined components for every branch of the armed forces and we are well acquainted with all military specifications and requirements. We can provide you with the strong, durable military-grade plastic parts you need to accomplish your mission.
Precision Machined Components for Every Application
- Military Aircraft – Aircraft parts require precision machining to ensure safety and integrity. These precision-machined components include the airframe – which needs to be strong yet lightweight – and the avionics (electrical systems). Specialty plastics offer high tensile and flexural strength on par with metal at a fraction of the weight. They can also protect critical electronics from heat, corrosion, and electromagnetic interference.
- Ground Vehicles – Advanced plastic components offer corrosion- and wear-resistant solutions for metal parts such as bearings, bushings, thrust washer, valve seats, and more. Vespel® is a common choice for high-friction applications due to its unique combination of properties and capabilities.
- Naval Systems – Subsea equipment needs to be lightweight and resistant to saltwater in order to be efficient. Plastic parts are naturally resistant to saltwater corrosion and up to half the weight of traditional metal parts. Fasteners, connectors, support structures, and submarine parts and components are frequently machined from specialty plastic.
- Tactical Communications – Reliable communication is crucial to a successful mission. Military-grade plastics can be found in computer and vision systems as well as connectors in aircraft and vehicles. These plastic parts provide flexibility while remaining durable enough to withstand constant mechanical and environmental stress. Additionally, plastic components are rust- and corrosion-resistant and can withstand rapid temperature and pressure changes without warping or damage.
- Unmanned Systems – Whether taking on land, sea, or air, these systems require lightweight, consolidated parts. High-strength plastics are perfect for bulkheads, wing spars, and wing rib structures.
- Vision and Targeting Systems – Whether you have light, medium, or heavy weapon applications, we can provide the precision-machined components you need, including housings and adjustment rings.
- Radar Systems – Advanced plastics, such as PEEK, are perfect for radomes on drones and advanced communication systems. (Radomes are weatherproof structures that protect radar antenna without interfering with the transmitting signal.)
- Less than Lethal – For close-quarter combat items and other training systems, plastic components offer unmatched durability for continuous use.
- Missile Defense – In modern missile defense systems, reducing weight is a necessity. Perhaps the most common reason for metal-to-plastic conversion is the lightweight benefits of advanced plastics. Some high-temperature grades, such as PEEK, are roughly 50% the weight of aluminum, and some composites are 25% the weight of steel.
If you need military precision-machined components, call Reading Plastic today at (610) 926-3245.